Blood Orange Scones with Cacao
Write a review
For the scones
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup Olivia's Blood Orange Olive Oil
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
For the glaze
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add almond milk mixture, maple syrup, and blood orange olive oil to dry ingredients, stirring to combine, fold in cacao nibs. The mixture will be oily - much more than traditional scones make with cold butter.
- On a lined cookie sheet, roll or press mixture until it is ¾ inch thick.
- Use a small cookie cutter to cut out your hearts and place on a separate lined cookie sheet. Continue to do so until you have used the entire dough. Mine yielded 16 miniature scones.
- Place scones in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake scones, straight from the freezer, for 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, make glaze.
- Start with powdered sugar and add blood orange juice one teaspoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Dip scones and allow glaze to set.
Olivia Olive Oil https://oliviaevoo.com/