Balsamic Braised Beef Short Ribs
w/ Italian Herb Olive Oil & Mission Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 2-3 lb Trimmed Beef Short Ribs
- 2 tbsp Italian Herb Olive Oil (or a robust olive oil)
- 1 large Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 cup Mission Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Merlot Wine
- 4-6 cups Beef Stock
- In a frying pan, brown the short ribs on all sides in the olive oil, searing well. Don’t rush this step; it should take about 10 minutes per batch. Remove from the frying pan and place in a small roasting pan, just big enough to hold everything comfortably, bone side up, or stack them in a slow cooker.Chop the onion and garlic, add to the frying pan, and sauté until soft and golden, 5-7 minutes. Add the balsamic and tomato paste to deglaze the pan, scraping any bits from the bottom. Pour this mixture over the short ribs. Add the beer and enough beef stock to completely cover the meat.
- OVEN METHOD Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Cover the ribs tightly with two layers of foil to prevent any steam from escaping, and place in the oven for 3 hours.
- SLOW COOKER METHOD Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook the ribs on low for 6-8 hours.
- TO FINISH Remove from the oven or slow cooker and let rest in the cooking vessel for 15 minutes. Pile high on a serving platter, reserving the drippings. Remove 2 cups of the drippings from the roasting pan or slow cooker and place in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce and use as a gravy if desired.
~Adapted from The Olive Oil & Vinegar Lover’s Cookbook! Buy it here for more great recipes.~ VARIATIONS Also try this recipe with:
- Espresso Balsamic & Stout-Style Dark Beer
- Blackberry Balsamic & Lager
- Chocolate Balsamic & Porter
- Bourbon Maple Balsamic & Milk Stout
- Pomegranate Balsamic & Shiraz
- Traditional Aged Balsamic & Cabernet