Vanilla Pound Cake with Espresso Macerated Strawberries
Write a review
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olivia's Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 drops almond extract
- Pinch salt
- Generous pinch coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices Vanilla Pound Cake, recipe follows, or store-bought
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
Vanilla Pound Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces (1 3/4 sticks) butter, softened, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing the loaf pan
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, Espresso Balsamic Vinegar, sugar, almond extract, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Leave to macerate for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat, swirling to coat the entire pan.
- Add the pound cake slices and toast until lightly browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pound cake from the pan, swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; and toast the pound cake on the reverse side until lightly browned, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the toasted pound cake on plates and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the side of each slice.
- Top the slices with some of the macerated strawberries and garnish with toasted almonds.
- Serve immediately.
Vanilla Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan
- In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla; mix for 1 minute, until well blended.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until completely blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before turning the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Olivia Olive Oil https://oliviaevoo.com/